Monday 19 August 2013

Wat Prasat Khao Phra Wihan

                                                         Wat Prasat Khao Phra Wihan
                                                                       Cambodia

I visited this Wat two years ago and recommend going there. Although it's a highly contested site and a bit difficult to travel to, it's beautiful to see and experience. It is placed on the Thailand Cambodian border near Kantharalak, Thailand, and Choam Khan, Cambodia. When I visited I was the only foreign tourist there and I enjoyed the so called solitude immensely, I have to admit there were quite a  few Cambodian soldiers around me watching where I went and what I photographed, all in all it was truly worth going there.



View from below looking up to Wat Phra Viharn which rests on the top of this mountain and 
consists of five levels sloping off to the right.


Looking back down the second tier pathway. 


Looking back down the third tier pathway towards Thailand.


Deferred reconstruction on Wat arches


Leaning wall of upper tier Wat building


One of the Wat gateways.


Inner covered corridor of upper Wat building

 

Detailed Doorways of Wat.


Carved steps with neighboring mountains as the backdrop.


Looking up the pathway to Wat.


View of neighboring mountains from Wat Phra Vihan 


Detailed doorway of one of the Wat buildings.


Remains of one of the stone guards. 


Facing onto the top tier or the fifth level Wat.



1 comment: